Sunday, November 22, 2009

I've made my decision: I'm giving it another Shot

Errisea

Yes Ive decided not to give up though I felt like it yesterday. Several things have happened : first two Kiwi guys come over to see me last night from their catamaran, Cool Change, and they invited me ashore for dinner. So I went and had more delicious kingfish, and we talked about the boat and the weather and what might have gone wrong. They plan to leave for NZ today but will have a much quicker passage. They couldn't think of why I wouldn't just carry on. Secondly, John who also turned out to be a Kiwi, came over this morning with one of his crew and they hoisted me in the Bosuns chair right to the top of the mast in gusty wind with the boat rolling side to side, and I retrieved the headsail halyard. I've never been up the mast like that before, strapped in and pulling as much as my weak arms could as they heaved on the main halyard and dragged me up to the top. What a view, especially looking straight down at Sapphire way below! Spooky! Johns crew were all watching from "Errisea" The headsail furler mechanism was unbroken so all I had to do was get a new shackle. We presumed the other one just undid itself so to prevent that happening at Johns suggestion I wrapped the new one in special elastic tape. They then helped me pull the sail back on and there we were, all set to go. Lastly I looked at the latest weather charts this morning and they still look favorable for at least five days...all that was required then was for me to face my fear yet again and just say "Do it anyway"

So I topped up the diesel tanks and took the empties ashore and phoned Gower Wilson again and he came in his truck and refilled them. While I was waiting for him I had a burger and chips at Humpty Micks, a popular cafe and restaurant opposite the Post Office, and read last thursdays newspaper. Now I have returned to Sapphire, stowed the diesel and heaved the dinghy back on board. I am giving it some time to dry out before I roll it up and put it away and then I'm back out through North Passage - yawn - and turning Due east once more.

Well lets hope it works out this time. I'll do the best I can anyway.....

Sapphire Out

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com/

No comments: