Monday, November 23, 2009

630 to North Cape

A Final farewell to LHI

I departed Lord Howe for the second time, at about 3.30pm, Sunday November 22nd. Once clear of the island, I set the hydrovane to steer almost exactly due east and by sunset we were clear of Balls Pyramid. The troublemaking headsail was still furled and I coul;d see no reason to unfurl it as we were making 5.8 to 6 knots under main alone. There was a good swell running, up to 2 metres, and the northerly wind was strong, around 19 to 20 knots, so were on a beam reach but running obliquely across the swell so there was a fair bit of movement ,especiaally rolling as the miles gradually went by. For tea I had fresh bread from the bakery at LHI - Humpty Micks- and soup.

I constantly debated in my mind the value of unfurling the headsail, but in the end decided I was going to adopt a more conservative approach to sailing this time, and not consider it a race to cross the tasman, but a journey that I wanted to make safely and without further gear failure or avoidable complication. I decided that if I could make at least 4.5 knots that would be over 100 miles a day and that would be excellent. I didn't want any more hassles in the night either, so I left the headsail unfurled and the main unreefed. Wind speed had crept up to 22 knots and we were doing 6 to 6.3 knots mostly which was very respectable. So I started having sleeps.


After midnight I poked my head out to check and found the wind had increased further and to my amazement was now 27 to 28 knots. To think I had been sleeping while Sapphire was sailing in stronger wind than I have ever sailed in before! But clearly it was time the main was reefed and reluctantly, out I went. Then I went back to sleep as speed and motion and bashing into waaves all reduced and Sapphire felt safe again.

As is usual I woke as the sky was lightening, before Sunrise and the wind had dropped back to 19 knots but as we were still making around 5 knots I simply had my standard breakfast and coffee.

The seas are still moderately big but the wind was predicted to reduce today so sooner or later I will have to unfurl the headsail to keep her moving nicely along.Right now we are 70 miles from Lord Howe so I am beyond the place I turned back from on Friday night.

Apart from a few new annoying drips from overhead- water on the decks finding a way into the boat - everything is fine.

Sapphire Out

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com/

2 comments:

Rankine said...

Fantastic dad, go for it!

MaxnBarb said...

onya cobber! well done for deciding to go ahead... your mention of Humpty Micks makes me remember great times on Lord Howe Island a little over 12 months ago. Cheers, Max & Barb from Bulli