Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I think I'll go Today

There are no Current Marine warnings for NSW Coastal Waters or Ocean Areas according to the report Ive just listened to on my HF Radio from VMC on 8176kHz. Theres a big High centred in the Tasman Sea and winds are predicted to be predominantly from North east and North , with a southerly change expected to be brief on Friday. I've done all I can to get the boat ready and I am sick of waiting and spending money. So this morning I'll top up the diesel tanks and head out and see whats happening. My only concern is that the winds might be too light and I dont fancy wallowing around in a shipping lane for a day or two!
Now if I do keep going today I will try to keep the blog going from the Tasman using my HF Radio. They will only be text - I cant send pictures or videos because I do not have a satellite communications package like someone else we all know who sails a pink boat because I do not have Sponsors. But I did consider once approaching Bayer and offering to call my yacht Mirena for a few hundred thousand... and I wont be baking cupcakes. (Honestly...who bakes a cupcake?)
Anyhow, and THIS IS IMPORTANT the blog is not part of my safety programme so not seeing a post from me DOES NOT MEAN I AM IN TROUBLE. There are many technical reasons why there may not be a posting, such as water ruining my computer or the radio reception being poor or the radio not working or me being too busy or whatever....so just be patient and I'll eventually turn up somewhere. If I am in trouble I have two EPIRBS, three radios and a liferaft to look after me.
There is a site that I will also post my position to, and you can go there and look at a google earth map that will show where I am and carry a short message such as "All Good" - its not a "Live" site and I will try to post to it most days. Again, it is not part of my safety system and do not be surprised if some days there is nothing. The site is http://www.pangolin.co.nz/ - look on the left side and click on "Reporting Boats" then scroll down a long list of boats to vjn3327 Sapphire and click on "Track". Then you'll see the map and Sapphires position - its accurate to a mile or two - at the moment it has Sapphire parked on an intersection a few blocks away on Mary Street!
So please keep reading the blog and adding comments which I can read later, or if you want to email me directly my email at sea is vjn3327@sailmail.com. The connection is slow so send as much text as you like but not photos or videos.
If youre wondering how I am feeling right now - well its how I used to feel on the morning of a big exam - overall its an unpleasant feeling, but a mix of satisfaction that Ive done everything I could to be ready, and anxiety about what I might be tested on that I dont know too well or forgot! Occasionaly I have momentary feelings of panic but I'm eager to get going because I always found once the exam started I felt great- the contest bewteen student and the examiner is about to go another few rounds. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

zoe mac said...

honestly...who bakes a cup cake?
hahah
good having a quick talk before you left! good luck and enjoy sailing!
keep in contact. love zoe x x x x x