Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Updates and Progress....


1. The New Dodger
Alex Robison from AR Marine has made me a great new dodger. Its slightly higher than the old one and has a single massive window that gives amazing views forward that we didnt get with the old one. Hes made it much easier to unclip the sides so the main sheet wont rub on it when the booms is out on a broad reach. I'm very pleased.

2. Jessica Watson
Her boat, Ellas Pink Lady was up on the slip straight across from us, and Ive been keeping an eye on it from a distance the last few days. However this morning I went over to have a closer look because right next to the slip is a smart little coffee shop. I sat down to order my coffee and muffin and then noticed jess and her parents and a couple of others sitting at the table two across from me. I noticed she was mostly over under the boat looking at stuff the guys were doing to the hull and engaging them in what looked like quite serious conversation. Her boat is loaded with stuff and looks really strong. However I noticed there was no liferaft - at least not externally mounted - and there was no sign of a Parachute Anchor. I would have been most interested to find out what their thinking is in relation to those two things - I know she at least has a "series" type drogue because I saw her dragging that out on the jetty the other day - I read ages ago someones view that the series type drogue is the best - its a really long heavy rope with dozens of little canvas cones every couple of feet along its length and a heavy weight at the far end. I decided not to get one because if the weather was so bad I was wanting to slow the boat down I would rather just use the parachute anchor and stop altogether. The experts warn that sailing on your own in such conditions would be too tiring. As far as the parachute anchor is concerned, Alby McCracken at Paraanchors Autralia, who supplied mine, recommends that it be set up ready to go before leaving port. So as I say I would like to know what their thinking is. Looking at the weather charts today I would say she might be planning to go on Saturday....

3. My Liferaft
I took it off the boat and out to RFD for its annual service. It was amazing walking into their massive warehouse with dozens of different liferafts in various stages of testing and repacking all over the place. There were huge navy rafts that would carry 20 people being packed into drums the size of a small car! A nice chap called Benny unpacked my little one and inflated it with compressed air from a hose - he said I could activate the cannister and inflate it myself if I liked but as the cannister was not past its useby date he would not need to replace it and that would save me $160. So I let him blow it up and then he said I could get in! I felt like a kid in my new play pen and fiddled with all the bits and pieces - it was MOST useful to check it all out. The full check will be done and then I've asked them to repack it into a hard case so I can mount it on the cabin roof just in front of the Solar Panel.

4. SOB
I ordered a special bracket to mount the Toughbook on and that stopped progress on getting that all sorted out, but we've made some temporary connections just to see if its going to work. Its complex to the uninitiated but the GPS data came through straight away, showing Sapphire in the right place on the chart and a readout of her heading and speed as she swung this way and that on the mooring in winds gusting up to 28 knots. So thats working and now we have to get the AIS data recognised.....

5. Slip
Today Sapphire was hauled out at Clontarf marina to have her annual antifouling treatment, and also checks of through hull fittings, Prop shaft and rudder bearings. She also needed some repair to damage I inflicted on the keel when I rammed a rock at Broughton Island earlier this year, in a salutary experience wherein I was relying on the GPS to avoid hitting a well marked submerged rock. And I KNEW one shouldnt rely on GPS to be THAT accurate but I did!!!

No comments: