Sunday, April 19, 2009

This is what its all about: Read this First

I sailed here by myself from Sydney Harbour in March 2009 a journey of about 100 miles, my biggest adventure to date. It was fantastic. I was surrounded by Pilot Whales one afternoon - they behaved a bit like dolphins but were much bigger and didnt leap out of the water but broke the surface to breathe all round the boat. I had some fabulous days sailing, and got better at using the Hydrovane, my wondrous new self steering gear. I had moments and sometimes hours of almost magical joy. And to think that when I was talking to people about buying a boat many advised getting a little one to start with just in case I might discover I didnt like sailing. I always said to them " I know I'm going to love it" - and I do.
The next few postings will describe how I learned to sail just over two years before, how I went about getting a boat and what happened after that. Then, once the story is up to date I will document my progress towards making my first genuine Blue water solo journey - across the Tasman to my homeland, New Zealand at the end of this year.

No comments: